House of Flowers uses a variety of eco-friendly practices to lessen our impact on the environment. From reducing our waste in the shop, to utilizing a variety of recyclable products, we take our commitment to keeping the earth healthy as seriously as you do.
Check out a few of our environmentally friendly practices below:
- When possible, we use biodegradable, recycled or recyclable products. Although the world is still in infant stages of producing materials that will replace the environmentally unfriendly products of the past, we can help the research by creating the demand.
- All hand-tied bouquets are presented in natural recycled paper or biodegradable cellophane and are tied with natural jute rope. All corsage boxes, floral paper, enclosure cards and gift bags are also made of recycled paper.
- We limit the use of foam, plastics and aerosol products when reasonable.
- We utilize a number of local purveyors of cut flowers with sustainable practices and buy box lots of flowers direct from the farm.
- Our shop takes back vases and containers for reuse, sometimes offering a free gift for their return. All cardboard boxes that our cut flowers are delivered in are returned to suppliers on a daily basis for repurpose as well. All other cardboard is pressed flat and recycled with local recycling facility.
- House of Flowers is in the process of replacing all outdoor and in-store lighting with fluorescent or LED lighting for a reduction of electricity and cooling costs.
- We recycle and reuse wood pallets when we are able.
- Our deliveries are set up in efficient routes to conserve on fuel emissions.
- We favor the use of cloth towels over paper towels.